Platinum Limo Hire Bradford

Monday, 11 April 2016

'I was stung by a scorpion and slowly starved' - Bradford businessman tells of TV survival show experience

'I was stung by a scorpion and slowly starved' - Bradford businessman tells of TV survival show experience




'I was stung by a scorpion and slowly starved' - Bradford businessman tells of TV survival show experience

A BUSINESSMAN who is appearing on a desert island survival show has described how being slowly starved and repeatedly bitten by flies has been a "life-changing experience".
Rizwan Shabir - known as Riz - is one of a group of men and women dropped on a deserted tropical island for the Channel 4 series The Island.
The 26-year-old married father-of-three, of Girlington, Bradford, caused a big stir on social media after he broke down in tears shortly after reaching the beach following a 50 metre swim.
He then struggled to get to the top of a steep bank as the men made their way off the beach.
Riz, who is a black belt in karate and owns a mobile phone shop in Castleford, redeemed himself when he managed to get a fire going.
He told the Telegraph & Argus that living on the island had been emotionally and physically painful.
As he walked up the beach, he realised he was missing his wife and three young children back in Bradford.
It dawned on him that what he was doing was quite risky.
"I think I panicked with the realisation of how dangerous it was. The swimming was frightening and scary. The water was in my eyes and mouth and I could feel the coldness. I hadn't been swimming since I was 16 or 17. I do know how to swim but it's different in a swimming pool."
When a fellow islander asked how he was, he began to cry.
"I wasn't able to control myself. I just let it out. I was feeling really emotional. I'm an emotional kind of guy. My twins boys were only six-weeks-old and my little girl was having her third birthday and we had just said goodbye to our families."
After breaking down he was branded a 'softie' on social media.
"I don't mind them saying I'm a softie. We all cry, we all get emotional. The only difference is that millions were watching it. Mentally, I am soft - it runs in the family."
He redeemed himself in the eyes of many when he managed to get a fire going.
It had taken his group more than 15 hours over two days before they got a flame, he said.

Read more T&A