Platinum Limo Hire Bradford

Tuesday, 31 May 2016

EXCLUSIVE: 'He just put his foot down and went over me, dragging me across the road' - Bradford man tells how car thief left him for dead

EXCLUSIVE: 'He just put his foot down and went over me, dragging me across the road' - Bradford man tells how car thief left him for dead
Philip Stead, 50, who is recovering after trying to stop a thief stealing his 4x4

EXCLUSIVE: 'He just put his foot down and went over me, dragging me across the road' - Bradford man tells how car thief left him for dead

A MAN run over trying to stop his 4x4 being stolen has spoken publicly for the first time about how it nearly cost him his life.
Philip Stead, 50, was left in a coma when he tried to stop his Mitsubishi pick-up being driven off from his home in Felcourt Drive, Holme Wood, in April this year.
He also suffered a smashed pelvis, broken ribs, a punctured lung and terrible cuts when he was dragged under the wheels of his vehicle and into the road before the thief sped off leaving him for dead.
Mr Stead, a married grandfather, remains confined to a wheelchair with cage still supporting his shattered pelvis and needing to wear a neckbrace.
Recalling the incident, he said: "I got up at 3.45am like I have done every morning for the last 17 years, came downstairs, put the kettle on, put the keys in the car and started up the engine and went back and got my coffee and brought it the front door; this has been my routine for the last 12 years.
"I noticed my car was creeping forward really slowly, I thought the handbrake had loosened or wasn't on properly, so I went round to the front to stop it rolling, and that was when I saw someone sat in the driver's seat.
"He just put his foot down and went over me, dragging me across the road.
"We ended up on a grass verge, I got trapped against the kerb and the back wheel went completely over me - that's what smashed my pelvis.
"I couldn't breathe because I had a punctured lung, and the next thing I knew I was in the ambulance."
Luckily for him, one of his neighbours heard the commotion and rang for an ambulance, which he maintains probably saved his life.
While in Leeds General Infirmary, Mr Stead, who works for works for Shipley-based Associated Waste Management, was placed in an induced coma and had emergency surgery, and was given a tracheotomy to aid his breathing.
"I had a smashed pelvis, which is being held together by wire and a cage, a punctured lung, broken ribs, I still have lots of dressings on my ankles where it went down to the bone, stitches in the back of my head, and stitches in my buttocks, which are in an L-shape and looks a bit like a catflap.


Read more T&A





Hungry ? Fancy A Change ?


SOL Mexican Restaurant Bradford






People who read this article also read