Platinum Limo Hire Bradford

Thursday, 24 November 2016

'Having to beg is degrading and embarrassing' says homeless Bradford man

'Having to beg is degrading and embarrassing' says homeless Bradford man
'Having to beg is degrading and embarrassing' says homeless Bradford man


'Having to beg is degrading and embarrassing' says homeless Bradford man

A man who became homeless just a few weeks ago says the experience of having nowhere to live and having to beg from strangers simply to exist is the most degrading he has been through.
The 37-year-old, who wanted to be known simply as Matthew, is originally from Thorpe Edge, and has been relying on people in the street giving him change so he can afford a bed for the night.
Matthew did have a job and a home in the city. He trained as a stone mason with his father before going on to repairing printing machinery and latterly as a tailgate engineer.


More recently he did occasional casual labouring for a construction company in Bradford. He had been in a relationship for more than 14 years and said he had five children with his ex-girlfriend, but a few weeks ago he left amid relationship problems.
“The situation at home got to the point that we couldn’t stay together,” he explained.
“I came off the tenancy agreement so she would not lose her home. Now my aim is to get a place of my own. Because I have no address I can’t get benefits and rely on the kindness of the people of Bradford.
"I need £20 for a bed for the night with some food at Cyrenians, in Manningham Lane, and £10 for food for the day. I have no living (older) relatives. My father died three years ago, my mother two years ago and my sister, suddenly, four days after our mother. I have a grandmother but she’s 98 and suffering from dementia.


Read More T&A




People who read this article also read


Getting Married ? Birthday ? Hen / Stag Party ?


Platinum Limo Hire Bradford, The UK's Largest By A Long Stretch